October 28, 2005

Hell n Back

2nd Sept 2000
10:30 Pm
IInd Year Engineering
This was the day I could have crossed into hell....

Joel - a very good friend of mine is a PATHETIC rider. I mean he owned a black Honda Splendour and he was just saaaaaaaaad ! Also let me tell u - Joel met with an accident and has 2 Titanium screws in his right knee.
Its sunday and we decide to eat out.

So we head for a place called 'Burger King'. We have a nice dinner and chat and we are returning ....
We are on FC Road and a Bike just zooms by. (those were the times when I had my mom's scooty as a commuting device). I recognized that the pillion on the bike was the same Hot female we both were drooling at back in Burger King. So i raise my hand (and my voice) to share this with Joel.

Out of nowhere, i look to my right and this Sumo pulls up at like break neck speed right along us.
Now i am wondering WHY is he driving along side us.... this guy starts to sway towards us. I can see the distance between Joel's Handle bar and the Sumo reducing. The sumo comes close and gently nudges the bike. (joel till now had NO CLUE wat was going on). Joel slightly swerves. The Sumo sways back away from us.



And then ....
The Sumo comes and BUMPS into us. Full on ....
I saw joel's head hit the ground like a ball. Thankfully he was wearing a helmet. Then i Hit the floor.
For a sec i didnt realize what happened. All i knew was that i was rolling all over the floor. I get up and check to see if all my bones are ok.
They were - i guess all the paranthas with Amul Butter i ate when i was a kid finally paid off.
Joel on the other hand was screaming and lying under the bike about 10 feet away from me.

People gathered and helped him up. I walked to the side walk. My specs are gone - so i can see SQUAT !
i am touchign myself (so as to say) and cudnt believe i was fine.

Then i touch my face and feel something sticky ....
i bend over and its like a TAP has opened. Somewhere from my face, there is this red colored liquid flowing out. As if there is no stopping it.
This guy comes and says 'its ok beta - dont worry - sab theek ho jayega'. I'm like - WHAT theek ho jayega - HUA KYA HAI??
these 2 girls come along and give the guy a bottle of water. he puts my head back into the light to pour the water over my face. Just as the light hits my face - i hear these girls gasp - ' OH my god !'

Now i am gettign worried here. Not cause I am bleeding. But probably that small thing in my head called the brain may have got displaced. Its very small u know and can get lost easily!

These guys stop an Auto and take us both to the Hospital. WHen i reach the hospital i see Joel - his right knee was about 6 inches lower than the left. The Screws had got displaced. Now this was serious. In fact when joel got his operation done - it was a miracle there was some cartilage left for the surgeon to re attach the screws - else he would have been limping for life.

I'm sure this story would be far better had HE told it ...

Well anyways. So we reach the hospital. The doc comes in. The bleeding has stopped.
He looks at me and asks - 'err ... hmmm .... have u ... i mean ... are u under any influence of alcohol ?'
after i convinced him that i was not drunk (not cause i didnt want to - just cause i had NO MONEY), he got to his job.

Today after 4 years - i still carry a faint scar below my right eye. The skin below my right eye was slit and bled itself out. My right eye was not visible - All the people could see was a blood filled eyeball. The guy who said 'sab theek ho jayega' thought i lost my eye.

Technical details -
The specs i was wearing were made of glass. When my head hit the floor, the glass smashed and slit the skin below my eyes. U must be thinking - HOW LUCKY ! Thats not the only 'slit' i got. The 'white' part of my right eye was slit too - about 4 cms. It could have been my retina. I would have been writing this article with one eye !

Helmet pehno boss - thopda badalne mein der nahin lagtee ....

0 comments: